1. REPEATING PATTERNS
— MATH PATTERNS, ART, MUSIC + CODING —
We have 2 coding environments to try:
Patterns are beautiful:
- dance them on colour mats
- play them musically with xylophones
- stamp them with dabbers
- … and animate them with code!!
Read a White Paper on Computational Modelling in Elementary Mathematics Education.
THE MORE IT CHANGES, THE MORE IT STAYS THE SAME
We have 3 coding environments to try:
See descriptions below The Story section.
THE STORY … coming soon!
- For centuries, Martians have schemed to conquer Earth.
- Now they have a plan: Math + Coding Attack!
- Join Earthlings Pix & Vix as they explore math + coding with Martians Zork & Gork
- Prepare your brain before Martians turn it to mush.
- Study math. Learn code.
ROTATION & REFLECTION SYMMETRIES
- What happens when you combine symmetries?
- Use code to control symmetry combinations
- Try it at mathsurprise.ca/apps/sym/rotation-reflection
BUMPER SYMMETRIES WITH SQUARES
- What happens when symmetries of the square bump together and apply their transformations to one another?
- Use code to control bumper symmetries with squares
- Try it at mathsurprise.ca/apps/sym/bumper-squares
BUMPER SYMMETRIES WITH TRIANGLES
- What happens when symmetries of the triangle bump together and apply their transformations to one another?
- Use code to control bumper symmetries with triangles
- Try it at mathsurprise.ca/apps/sym/bumper-triangles
From a Grade 2/3 classroom.
WHAT IS SYMMETRY? (4.2 minutes)
A symmetry is a transformation that leaves a shape looking unchanged.
Growing attention in research and teaching communities is being placed on the cognitive growth of learners in mathematics. Across Canada, educators are tapping into the various facets of cognition to motivate, stimulate, and support their learners. From coast to coast in Canadian research, the message appears clear: learners’ cognitive growth is paramount to improved achievement and engagement in mathematics. Of primary importance to this research is the development of conceptually-based learning tools that can enhance learners’ cognitive abilities in mathematics and teachers’ pedagogical practice so as to foster improved achievement and enriched understanding of the role of mathematics in understanding the world. In this research, we seek to address the relative dearth of conceptually-based, pedagogically rich, and high-quality design mathematics learning apps.
The apps we will develop for this project will be unique in two ways: (i) they will employ story-based contexts, and (ii) they will rely on infographics research to offer multimodal modeling of mathematics concepts and relationships. The apps will engage learners in multi-representational inquiry-based explorations of mathematical concepts and processes in the K-8 curriculum, using dynamic, interactive simulations and games, wrapped into a story context that engages cognitively, emotionally and viscerally. We will investigate specific features of app design, development, and implementation in terms of how different affordances influence learners’ attention, engagement, and motivation. We hope to shed light on how dynamic and interactive visual representations of mathematics are interpreted, judiciously used,
We will investigate specific features of app design, development, and implementation in terms of how different affordances influence learners’ attention, engagement, and motivation. We hope to shed light on how dynamic and interactive visual representations of mathematics are interpreted, judiciously used, built with, and applied, how they open up new curricula possibilities in mathematics, and to articulate ways that parents and teachers could orchestrate learners’ activities with these representations so as to offer support in fostering young learners’ mathematical fluency and understanding.
- See main page at http://researchideas.ca/sym/
- See a video preview of the story at http://researchideas.ca/sym/s1/
- the story has also been translated into Spanish
- The app has 3 components
- This will be used in a new story about artificial intelligenc